top of page

Union City's Landlord-Tenant Relations Ordinance


Union City has enacted eviction controls over housing units, and increased regulation of activities between landlords and tenants. Here’s what you need to know about the law:

  1. Effective May 11, 2017.

  2. The ordinance only regulates evictions, not rent.

  3. The ordinance does not set up a rent board agency.

  4. Applies to all residential rental units, except for owner-occupied units renting up to two bedrooms.

  5. Requires landlords to have a business license, provide notice of tenants’ rights (in three languages) to existing tenants within 60 days of the effective date of the law and at lease renewal, to new tenants at inception of tenancy, with notice of termination, and at any other time as required by the City. The City will provide these notices with attached proof of service.

  6. Permits the following “just cause” evictions: nonpayment of rent, breach of lease after written notice to cease, illegal activity, health & safety violations by tenant, failure to extend lease, substantial repairs/rehabilitation, landlord re-occupancy after military deployment, condominium conversion, demolition/removal from rental market (explicitly not referencing Ellis Act), landlord move-in (owner and their parents and children only).

  7. Requires notice to tenant of right to return for certain no fault terminations.

  8. Requires service of a form notice of termination, but does not guarantee the form complies with state law.

  9. Prohibits harassment and imposes civil penalties for noncompliance.

  10. Landlords must register with the City, each rental unit and pay a fee to be set by the City for each rental unit.

Always read the law carefully and consult with an attorney before attempting to terminate a tenancy in Union City.

Link to Municipal Code here.

​Copyright © 2017 by Fried & Williams LLP. All Rights Reserved. The information in this article is general in nature and should not be considered legal advice. For any specific matter, please consult with an attorney.

Recent Posts

bottom of page